lichess.org
Donate

Registration for Season 12 Crazyhouse Spring League 2024 now open!

@the_Crocodile_Hunter, on the rating issue, I would prefer people signing up and no showing than not allowing them to play in the first place. Admittedly, I have never been an organizer, but I don't recall it being a large issue in the past. And if someone no shows without a valid reason, just ban them from future events. If there is a valid reason, that is why we typically have an alternate or two for each board willing to fill in. We can also vet players. Maybe require accounts be old enough or have enough games played or be active enough? Some of my favorite memories from the league are watching two lower rated players duke it out with 2400+ level players providing commentary in chat.

On the time control issue, there are many faster events. Anyone can find a 1+0 game in the lobby. There are popular 3+0 monthly and yearly arenas. There are popular daily and hourly 5+0 arenas. There are popular 3+2 shield arenas. This league is the only opportunity to play slow time control zh. I think we should maintain that even if it means a couple players choose not to participate.

@Marlonc, I have often faced large rating disparities in both directions in the league. When I'm the weaker player, I feel like it is a great opportunity to play a strong player in a time control where I have time to think. Last season, I went something like 1-5. I was obviously disappointed not to score better, but splitting 1-1 against Chewy made the entire experience worth it. As for the many losses, they provided great material to study and learn from!
@pkr5025 said in #21:
> on the rating issue, I would prefer people signing up and no showing than not allowing them to play in the first place. Admittedly, I have never been an organizer, but I don't recall it being a large issue in the past. And if someone no shows without a valid reason, just ban them from future events. If there is a valid reason, that is why we typically have an alternate or two for each board willing to fill in. We can also vet players. Maybe require accounts be old enough or have enough games played or be active enough? Some of my favorite memories from the league are watching two lower rated players duke it out with 2400+ level players providing commentary in chat.
>
> On the time control issue, there are many faster events. Anyone can find a 1+0 game in the lobby. There are popular 3+0 monthly and yearly arenas. There are popular daily and hourly 5+0 arenas. There are popular 3+2 shield arenas. This league is the only opportunity to play slow time control zh. I think we should maintain that even if it means a couple players choose not to participate.
>
> @Marlonc, I have often faced large rating disparities in both directions in the league. When I'm the weaker player, I feel like it is a great opportunity to play a strong player in a time control where I have time to think. Last season, I went something like 1-5. I was obviously disappointed not to score better, but splitting 1-1 against Chewy made the entire experience worth it. As for the many losses, they provided great material to study and learn from!

Ssssso.....are you in? Or what?
@Marlonc said in #22:
> Ssssso.....are you in? Or what?
If the time control / rating cutoffs don't change, I will really have to think about it. I played with these rules last season and felt quite rushed in many games.
@cFlour said in #20:
> I can help with organising if you want.

That would be awesome! ^)

But I think we need one or two more volunteers to lower the requirements for the rating level
What they will do:
1) Resolve such issues as no-shows, late arrivals, difficulties in agreeing a match time and so on
2) The hardest part is coordinating all the players and motivating them to play their matches and play on time
<Comment deleted by user>
@pkr5025 said in #23:
> If the time control / rating cutoffs don't change, I will really have to think about it. I played with these rules last season and felt quite rushed in many games.

Than let's have a vote

Anyone who likes the current TC (4+4, 5+5, 6+6...) can put a LIKE under my post

Anyone who likes the longer match TC (5+5, 6+6, 7+7... or even longer) can put a HEART under my post

It doesn't matter - HORSEY
forgive me as this is my first iteration of the zh league but what is the logic of making lower boards slower and higher boards faster
@h8kurei said in #27:
> forgive me as this is my first iteration of the zh league but what is the logic of making lower boards slower and higher boards faster

I was about to ask this same thing
@h8kurei said in #27:
> forgive me as this is my first iteration of the zh league but what is the logic of making lower boards slower and higher boards faster

What is the logic of having different ratings for Bullet, Blitz, Rapid and Classical? If you can play a bit when the time control is 10+0 then you shouldn't mind playing at 1+0 rated because you'll definitely be able to play just as well, right?

Join the Lichess Crazyhouse team, to post in this forum